Effective Date: January 2019
This Privacy Statement covers the collection and use of information for this website (“this site”). This practices described in this Privacy Statement are undertaken by the Nielsen Foundation (“we” or “us”). By using this site, you are subject to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Statement.
About the Nielsen Foundation
The Nielsen Foundation is a private foundation funded by Nielsen, a global measurement and data analytics company. The Nielsen Foundation seeks to bridge divides and enhance the use of data by the social sector to reduce discrimination, ease global hunger, promote effective education, and build strong leadership.
The Nielsen Foundation is the data controller for personal data collected on this site. If you have any comments or questions regarding this Privacy Statement, please contact us at: Nielsen.Foundation@nielsen.com. You can send us a letter at the following address:
Attn: Legal Dept.
The Nielsen Foundation, Inc.
40 Danbury Road
Wilton, Connecticut 06897
If you wish to contact the EU Data Protection Officer, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a letter at the following address:
ATTN: Legal Dept.
The Nielsen Foundation, Inc.
c/o Nielsen House
Oxford Business Park South
John Smith Drive
Oxford OX4 2WB
- Contact Us
- Data This Site Collects
- How We Use the Data
- When We Share Your Data
- Third-Party Sites
- Data Security
- Basis for Processing Users’ Personal Information
- Exercising Your Legal Rights
- Data Retention
- Use of This Site by Children
- Cross-Border Transfer
- Sensitive Data
- Updates to this Privacy Statement
Data This Site Collects
We collect the data you provide us. When you contact us, request information, or give us feedback, we may ask you for information like your name, postal address, telephone number and email address so we can respond or follow up. We may also ask you to provide other data relevant to your question, request, or feedback, such as your geographical location, industry and preferred contact method.
You may also make requests through this site to exercise your individual rights under applicable privacy laws. We will collect and maintain data related to such requests for audit and legal compliance purposes.
We automatically receive certain data when you visit this site, including: your Internet Protocol (IP) address; browser data; data about your device; data collected through cookies, pixel tags and other similar technologies; the date and time of your visit; and, in some cases, the web page you visited immediately prior to visiting this site.
We also collect data about videos or other content you view on this site, like the type and name of the content and the time viewed.
How We Use The Data
We may use the data you provide us:
- To respond to your questions and requests.
- To send you information about the Nielsen Foundation such as changes to our terms, conditions, and policies; and/or other administrative information.
- To send you commercial communications that we believe may be of interest to you (unless you choose not to receive them).
- For our internal business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, developing new products, improving this site and/or our services, identifying usage trends and determining the effectiveness of our communications.
We may collect data regarding your use of this site in the following ways:
- Your IP address: Your IP address is a number that your Internet Service Provider (ISP) assigns to the device you’re using. Whenever you visit this site, our server automatically identifies and logs your IP address, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that you visit. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice on the internet and is done automatically by many websites. We use IP addresses to calculate site usage, understand the country or region where our website visitors are located, help diagnose server problems and administer this site.
- Your browser: Certain data is collected through most browsers, such as your device’s media access control (MAC) address, operating system and version, screen resolution and web browser type and version.
To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
When We Share Your Data
In connection with one or more of the purposes outlined above, we may disclose your data to:
- Other members of the Nielsen group of companies solely for the purpose of maintaining this Site.
- Third parties that provide services to us, such as (but not limited to) website hosting, data analysis, infrastructure, IT services, customer service, email delivery and auditing.
- Relevant third parties as part of a corporate transaction, such as a reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceeding).
- Other third parties as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to enforce our terms and conditions; (d) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (e) to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or those of our affiliates, you or others; and (f) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
We will not share or sell your information with third parties in order to allow them to contact you for advertising purposes, unless you have asked us to do so.
This Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy practices of any third parties, including those that operate sites to which this site links. The inclusion of a link on this site does not imply that we or our affiliates endorse the practices of the linked site.
We use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect personal data under our control. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the internet or data storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you feel that the security of any data that we hold about you has been compromised, please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with the “Contact Us” section.
Basis for Processing Users’ Personal Information
Applicable law in certain countries requires us to set out in this Privacy Notice the legal basis upon which we rely in order to process users’ personal information.
For personal data collected about users in the European Union (“EU”)/European Economic Area (“EEA”), we rely on one of the legal bases below in order to process such data.
- Consent: We rely on the consent that we or our data providers obtain from users in order to perform our services and help our Clients deliver more effective and relevant advertising and content to users.
- Legitimate interests: We may rely on our legitimate interests to process users’ personal information, provided that such interests are not overridden by users’ interests, fundamental rights, or freedoms. In particular, we may process users’ personal information in reliance on a legitimate interest in the effective and lawful operation of our business as well as the effective delivery and improvement of our products, services, and websites.
- Compliance with legal obligations: We may process users’ personal information if necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation arising under an applicable law to which we are subject.
Users that have questions or concerns about the legal basis upon which we collect and use their personal data can contact us at email@example.com.
Exercising Your Legal Rights
If you no longer want to receive communications from us, you can contact us and request to be removed from our communications database. Please note that if you do opt-out of receiving communications from us, we may still send you important administrative messages in connection with your participation in an ongoing grant, opportunity or other Nielsen Foundation event.
In accordance with applicable laws, you may have a right to access and obtain personal information about you that the Nielsen Foundation holds. You may also request the Nielsen Foundation to correct your personal information if it is inaccurate, or in some cases erase certain personal information and restrict or object to the processing of your personal information. You may also have the right to data portability in some circumstances.
Your rights to access, correct, restrict, object to, suppress, port or delete your personal information or its processing are subject to applicable laws and are not unlimited – there are circumstances where they do not apply. If you reside in Europe, the data protection authority in your country maintains a website where you can learn more about your privacy rights.
Where your personal information is processed on the basis of your consent, you have a right to withdraw your consent at any time by notifying the DPO, but this will not retroactively affect the lawfulness of the processing of your Personal Data during the time your consent was in effect.
If you wish to pursue any of these rights, please the Nielsen Foundation or the EU DPO as indicated in the “Contact Us” section of this Notice.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with your country’s data protection authority.
We will retain your personal data only for those periods necessary to fulfill the various purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement unless a longer retention period is required or allowed by law.
Use of This Site By Children
This site is not intended for children under the age of 13, and we request that children not use this site. If we become aware that we have received data from a child under the age of 13, we will make reasonable efforts to delete such data from our records.
The information you provide or the data we collect via this site may be stored and processed in any country where we or our service providers operate and/or have facilities. As a result, your personal data may be transferred to countries or regions without data protection or privacy laws similar to those in effect in your home country. In such cases, we will ensure that there are adequate safeguards in place to protect your personal data. For further details about these transfers and the safeguards that we use to facilitate such transfers, contact us.
We ask that you not send us any sensitive personal data (e.g., information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or other beliefs, health, criminal background, trade union membership or government-issued identification numbers). If we do receive any sensitive personal data about you, we will, where necessary, obtain your explicit consent to collect and use such information in accordance with applicable law.
Updates to This Privacy Statement
We may make changes to this Privacy Statement from time to time. The “Effective Date” legend at the top of this page shows when this Privacy Statement was last revised. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Statement on this site. Your use of this site is subject to the terms of the Privacy Statement in effect at the time of your visit.